The Mississippi State University College of Veterinary Medicine accepts, on a limited basis, transfer students from other veterinary medical colleges to fill vacancies in the freshmen or sophomore classes. We only fill vacancies in Year 1 or Year 2 of the program.
- Applicants seeking to transfer into Year 1 or Year 2 must have successfully completed coursework equivalent to the coursework which MSU CVM students will have already completed.
- When applicable, equivalent surgery laboratory experience will be required.
Prior to application, it is advisable to contact MSU CVM to inquire if there are any vacancies and to allow our admissions staff to perform a review of equivalent courses to ensure that transfer is possible.
- Any applicant considered for transfer admission must be in good academic standing (defined as being eligible to continue at current school from current point in the curriculum), never have failed a course while in veterinary medical school, and never have been dismissed from a veterinary school.
- Any applicants considered for transfer admission will be required to participate in an interview either on-site at MSU CVM or via Skype, etc.
- Typically, transfer applicants are not accepted into our program at a point later than first semester of Year 2.
- Any student accepted for transfer is required to meet the current computer requirements of MSU CVM.
Transfer Entry Points
- Spring semester, Year 1 – starting in early January
- Fall semester, Year 2 – starting in mid-July
To apply for admission as a transfer student to the Mississippi State University College of Veterinary Medicine, an applicant must submit:
- a completed application
- $100.00 application fee
- letter of intent
- current resume
- official transcripts of all undergraduate and veterinary or other college coursework
Upon receipt of this material, MSU CVM personnel will perform an analysis of the records, determine eligibility for transfer, and, if applicable, the appropriate entry point into our curriculum. An interview is required before acceptance into our program and is conducted only when an opening has been identified in a class.
Questions should be directed as follows:
Dr. Jack Smith, Associate Dean for Academic Affairs
College of Veterinary Medicine
P.O. Box 6100
Mississippi State, MS 39762